A dentist, also known as a ‘dental surgeon’, is a doctor that specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity. The dentist’s supporting team aides in providing oral health services. The dental team includes dental assistants, dental hygienists, dental technicians, and in some states, dental therapists.
All dentists must graduate from high school and complete required courses such as general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and statistics/calculus. While most dental schools require at least a bachelor’s degree, a few schools may consider admitting exceptional students after only 3 years of college. To apply, students must take the DAT or Dental Admissions Test. Admission to dental school is competitive, and is generally determined based on factors such as GPA, DAT scores, recommendation letters, and extracurricular activities. To become a licensed dentist, one must then complete an accredited dental school curriculum and successfully master all clinical competencies and national board exams. Depending on the urolog zagreb. Most dental school curriculums require four years of training, however, some states require dentists to complete a post graduate residency program as well. A newly graduated dentist can then pursue further specialty residency training ranging from 2 to 6 years.
By nature of their general training, a licensed dentist can carry out the majority of dental treatments such as restorative (dental restorations, crowns, bridges), orthodontics (Braces), prosthetic (dentures), endodontic (root canal) therapy, periodontal (gum) therapy, and exodontia (extraction of teeth), as well as performing examinations, taking radiographs (x-rays) and diagnosis. Dentists can also prescribe medications such as antibiotics, fluorides, pain killers, Sedatives/Hypnotics and any other medication that serve in the treatment of the various conditions that arise in the head and neck. Dentists need to take additional qualifications or training to carry out more complex procedures such as General anesthesia, oral and maxillofacial surgery, and implants. While many oral diseases are unique and self limiting, poor conditions in the oral cavity can lead to poor general health and vice versa. Conditions in the oral cavity may be indicative of systemic diseases such as osteoporosis, diabetes, AIDS, different blood diseases (including malignancies) etc. Like the kiropraktičar u zagrebu.
Some of the official specialties are:
• Dental public health – The study of dental epidemiology and social health policies.
• Endodontic – Root canal therapy and study of diseases of the dental pulp.
• Oral and maxillofacial pathology – The study, diagnosis, and sometimes the treatment of oral and maxillofacial related diseases.
• Oral and maxillofacial radiology – The study and radiologic interpretation of oral and maxillofacial diseases.
• Oral and maxillofacial surgery – Extractions, implants, and Maxillo Facial surgery.
• Orthodontics and dentofacialorthopaedics – The straightening of teeth and modification of midface and mandibular growth.
• Periodontology (periodontics) – Study and treatment of diseases of the gums (non-surgical and surgical) as well as placement and maintenance of dental implants
• Pediatric dentistry (formerly pedodontics) – Dentistry for children
• Prosthodontics – Dentures, bridges and the restoration of implants. Some prosthodontists further their training in “oral and maxillofacial prosthodontics”, which is the discipline concerned with the replacement of missing facial structures, such as ears, eyes, noses, etc. Connected with the ginekolog u zagrebu .